There are many different buzz words that explain this phenomenon: flexitarian, semi-vegetarian, and week day vegetarian; where you only eat meat on the week-ends. But anyway you want to say it, you are cutting back on the meat you eat. Some do it for health reasons, animal rights, the environment or all of the above!

Removing high fructose corn syrup and preservatives from our table.
This is my on-line recipe book with my adventures into finding healthy food for my family to eat....
Trying to cook more from scratch with less prepared foods.

Friday, April 13, 2012

Vegetable Bouillon Mix

The jar of the magical thick product I use for seasoning my stews is raising as well as much of the whole grocery store. So I went looking for a recipe for a copy cat I found this recipe from 101 Cookbook for "vegetable bouillon" 

Ok yea some of the ingredients where a well I might as well just get the good old expensive bouillon paste. And then many of the other site that Yahoo found was the same recipe. Some people giving credit some not. Then I found Urban Strawberries recipe where she used what she had on hand. Of course I thought I always change things to suit my family, but I was kinda thinking I would find this powder stuff... yea I was thinking but really wasn't thinking clearly. So I as going to make me a batch of the vegetable soup-er mix

 1 lb carrots, peeled and chopped into large chunks
1/2 bunch Celery, washed and chopped into large chunks
1 zucchini
1 glove of garlic
1 large onion, chopped
1 handful of parsley 1 handful of herb/s of choice
 3/4 cup salt

 Mix this up in your food processor or blender. Keep a week worth in your refrigerator and freeze the rest. I freeze it in ice cube trays for easy pop out accessibility. Because you only need to use a teaspoon per 1 cup of hot water to make bouillon. You can just pop it in the stews or soup you are making..

 Just like stock it will make a better starter if you use fresh vegetables. So I can see this changing this summer with all the fresh vegetables I can get from the farmers market!! Or my garden!


  divider

No comments:

Post a Comment