There are many different buzz words that explain this phenomenon: flexitarian, semi-vegetarian, and week day vegetarian; where you only eat meat on the week-ends. But anyway you want to say it, you are cutting back on the meat you eat. Some do it for health reasons, animal rights, the environment or all of the above!

Removing high fructose corn syrup and preservatives from our table.
This is my on-line recipe book with my adventures into finding healthy food for my family to eat....
Trying to cook more from scratch with less prepared foods.

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Flour Tortillas! Ole!

It is Thursday! 8 Muddy Boots Mister Linkys from scratch time!

What did I make from scratch this week....

Devil Eggs........ of course!

Peanut Granola that was ok but needs something (I am working that out to make better!!)

Last night I wanted some veggie tacos and sure enough I had NO flour tortillas

So I searched online and found a recipe for 24... not that many so I cut the recipe in half and got 6 (humm I do like bigger  tortillas....)

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon shortening
3/4 cup water
Mix dry ingredients together.
Using a fork I cut the shortening in to the flour mix.
Add water slowly to moisten but don't get too wet.
Knead for a minute or two to mix together.
Let stand for 10 minutes. I started my veggies!!
Divide into 12 equal parts.
Heat a skillet over medium high heat.
Roll out on floured surface. Should be a 6 inch circle....  That when i saw it was way to small need to add more! LOL  But make sure the dough is rolled out very thin (the first way to thick, oh well I was learning)
Place on the skillet.  cook for about 30 seconds to a minute  and turn.  they should have some brown spots and loose their wet appearance.
Cook the other side until it looks the same way.
Yea like I said the first one was too thick but it tasted good.......... the second one was better... I think this would be great for Quesadillas...  yummm maybe for tonight's dinner??

No comments:

Post a Comment