There are many different buzz words that explain this phenomenon: flexitarian, semi-vegetarian, and week day vegetarian; where you only eat meat on the week-ends. But anyway you want to say it, you are cutting back on the meat you eat. Some do it for health reasons, animal rights, the environment or all of the above!

Removing high fructose corn syrup and preservatives from our table.
This is my on-line recipe book with my adventures into finding healthy food for my family to eat....
Trying to cook more from scratch with less prepared foods.

Monday, September 27, 2010

Secrets


I love that guy that does the don't eat this eat that. Because he puts it in terms everyone can understand. So when I saw this slide show about Cooking  Secrets I had to check it out. Ok some things I knew but somethings I didn't know...


Drain your  pasta about 1 minute early it will finish cooking when you are adding the sauce...  Must remember that one......  we eat a lot of pasta here...


Plus add some of the pasta cooking water to the sauce, the starch helps the sauce stick to the pasta.. making it creamer and flavorful.   Have to try that.... add only as needed.... 


Ok I did fly by the meat eating tips....




Buy your vegetables on Wednesday.   I have to say I work at a grocery store and guess what? We do get a delivery  on more then just Wednesday.  Of course I work for Sam's and we cater to the business owner but really you should ask about deliveries... I know many people don't have the time to go shopping during the week....  But then I also heard that the European way was to shop more than once a week or every two weeks.  .. Because how good is it if buy fresh fruits and vegetables and don't use them for a week?  (Yes Many vegetables can be stored for a week or longer. )
But again I do work at a grocery store I can do that.... I also have a chest freezer that I get extra vegetables and berries that I freeze when the price is great!!


Zap that citrus in the microwave for 15 seconds to get the most juice. I have been rolling mine on the counter!! 


Blend butter with olive oil to keep from the butter from burning easily. 


Keep out of the refrigerator. tomatoes, peaches, potatoes, onions, bread, garlic, and coffee
Crap I read somewhere that coffee stays better longer in the refrigerator... 

Making your own vinaigrette is easy!  3 part oil to 1 part vinegar. Add salt and pepper or herbs..

Too much salt add a splash of vinegar. Oh if I only knew that years ago..... 


No comments:

Post a Comment