There are many different buzz words that explain this phenomenon: flexitarian, semi-vegetarian, and week day vegetarian; where you only eat meat on the week-ends. But anyway you want to say it, you are cutting back on the meat you eat. Some do it for health reasons, animal rights, the environment or all of the above!

Removing high fructose corn syrup and preservatives from our table.
This is my on-line recipe book with my adventures into finding healthy food for my family to eat....
Trying to cook more from scratch with less prepared foods.

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Oven Fried Yummy Meal

Being in the mood for fried chicken  I decided to go with my oven fried chicken.  I also thought I try to make some oven fried vegetables.... hummmm  After eating some of the pot luck fried chicken I thought ewww greasy so I haven't really wanted fried anything.  I did miss onion rings.... So I tried this recipe... that I always used for chicken.... It kinda like the shake and bake I grew up on.... But now I make my own.  I know what the ingredients are.

1/3 cup of baking mix *
1/3 cup panko **
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon of Italian Seasoning 
1 tablespoon of butter
1 or 2 tablespoons of olive oil

Mix the dry ingredients together.  Drudge your chicken and vegetables threw flour.  Then threw  a liquid. Milk or butter milk can be used and is best the vegetables. Sometimes I like to use hot wing sauce or bbq sauce  for my chicken. Or some people told me to use mayo.  Not a fan like Paula Dean is for mayo but if you like it try it... I have made jo jo's (potatoes), onion rings and "fried" zucchini.  I cut my veggies quite large so they don't burn to easily.   Next drip into the baking mix dry ingredients.  Let sit for around 10 minutes.  Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.  Drizzle  oil in your  pan.  Melt the butter in the oven for a few minutes, watch it will burn easily.  Place chicken and or vegetables on pan.


 Now vegetables will not take as long as chicken that has the bone in so you can make them later, but if using boneless chicken I would make at the same time.

                                 Baking Tines

Boneless and vegetables                     30-45 minutes
White meat                                         40-45 minutes
dark meat                                           45-50 minutes


I turn the meal at half of the baking time...

I made this for my dad and he doesn't really like onion rings.  But tried my oven onion rings and loved them... I told everyone that they don't taste like deep fried onion rings but they are good... same with the zucchini.  Which my vegetarian daughter loved said they tasted like the pan fried zucchini without a ton of butter .... so it was  hit!! Family loved the oven fried dinner....


* I store  my baking mix stored in my refrigerator just because I don't use it quickly enough.  I also make half the batch!!

** Panko is a Japanese toasted bread crumb.  I got it at the outlet store for a good price, you can replace this with potato flakes, crushed corn chips or crushed crackers. It will add a extra crunch to the coating... But you can add more baking mix if you don't have any of these items.  I have a friend that likes to add a little corn meal to hers for that crunch (she told me that was a southern thing)

  divider

No comments:

Post a Comment