There are many different buzz words that explain this phenomenon: flexitarian, semi-vegetarian, and week day vegetarian; where you only eat meat on the week-ends. But anyway you want to say it, you are cutting back on the meat you eat. Some do it for health reasons, animal rights, the environment or all of the above!

Removing high fructose corn syrup and preservatives from our table.
This is my on-line recipe book with my adventures into finding healthy food for my family to eat....
Trying to cook more from scratch with less prepared foods.

Monday, October 29, 2012

Honey Oat Quick Bread

So I have been doing manly gluten free meals lately and do quite well... But once in a while I crave pizza so something like that.  I have been to picnics and had a burger on a bun things like that.  So I was thinking after hearing the news about the fact that I might not have power after tonight and might be days before it gets turned on... I need things I can eat without power.  So I thought I break down and maybe make some bread. When I made the pizza crust without yeast I wasn't that bloated so maybe it's the yeast that is getting me all bloated. Ok the truth is my yeast went out of date and I threw it away a week ago... I already ran my errands for the day and really don't want to drive in the rain again (plus I think everyone is stocking up on stuff and bottled water) I found this recipe and thought I try it:

Honey Oat Quick Bread


ingredients:

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons old-fashioned rolled oats, or quick-cooking (not instant) oats, divided
2 1/3 cups white whole-wheat flour (or use half white, half whole-wheat flour)
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
8 ounces (scant 1 cup) plain yogurt
1 large egg
1/4 cup  oil
1/4 cup honey
3/4 cup milk

directions:

Position rack in middle of oven; preheat to 375°F. Generously coat a 9-by-5-inch (or similar size) loaf pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon oats in the pan. Tip the pan back and forth to coat the sides and bottom with oats.
Stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Using a fork, beat the remaining 1 cup oats, yogurt, egg, oil and honey in a medium bowl until well blended. Stir in milk. Gently stir the yogurt mixture into the flour mixture just until thoroughly incorporated but don't overmix or the bread will be tough. Scrape the batter into the pan, spreading evenly to the edges. Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon oats over the top.
Bake the loaf until well browned on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes. (It’s normal for the top to crack.) Let stand in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Run a table knife around and under the loaf to loosen it and turn it out onto the rack. Let cool until barely warm, about 45 minutes.

It's so much like a biscuit I thought why not try it.  It's in the oven right now..... I did use Greek yogurt I hope that isn't going to mess it up...

No comments:

Post a Comment