There are many different buzz words that explain this phenomenon: flexitarian, semi-vegetarian, and week day vegetarian; where you only eat meat on the week-ends. But anyway you want to say it, you are cutting back on the meat you eat. Some do it for health reasons, animal rights, the environment or all of the above!

Removing high fructose corn syrup and preservatives from our table.
This is my on-line recipe book with my adventures into finding healthy food for my family to eat....
Trying to cook more from scratch with less prepared foods.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Grilled Fruit?

I saw some  recipes for grilled fruit and it peaks my interest.  Yea I have done the fruit with meat  skewers before but never thought to grill fruit by itself.  I have to experiment with this....


 First I look around the  web. Some of the things I learned are basic things.
Firm fruits like apples, pears, and pineapple are suppose to be easy to grill. Where softer fruits like mango, papaya, peaches, and nectarines are just heated and need to be watch closely. Bananas, pineapples, peaches, plums, apples, and pears can be cut in half, pitted or cored, and grilled
  I have made banana boats where we put some marshmallow and chocolate pieces in the banana cut lengthwise. Wrap with foil and place in the coals for about 10 minutes to melt the marshmallows and chocolate.  Very sweet.

First thing many people do is marinate the fruit in a liquid. Many times it is a liquor.  Guess that would be for adults only meals.  Tequila pineapple rings anyone? Even Tequila Orange rings. Juicy fruits like citrus  grill better when  cut into thick slices.

After grilling there are different things that people sprinkle on. The most popular is  brown sugar or cinnamon and sugar. But you can use whatever you like.  I have seen recipes calling for hot sauce.  Ok. Tech just might like that....

Do you grill fruits? What is your favorite grilled fruit recipe?
 
divider

No comments:

Post a Comment